Sunday, February 26, 2012

UK Fish 'N' Chips - Research and Planning

 

When I selected the UK as one of my countries, I knew I had to do fish n' chips.  My friends wholeheartedly agreed and so I began planning my fish n' chips party, my first event of 2012. 

First - some fun facts about fish n' chips, considered by many to be the English national dish:
  • Chips originated in either Belgium or France, depending on who you ask; fried fish was brought to England by Jewish immigrants from Portugal and Spain.
  • The idea of serving fish and chips together likely orginated in England but no one knows where or when.
  • Charles Dickens' novel Oliver Twist, published in 1838, refers to a "fried fish warehouse" where the fish was served with bread or baked potatoes.
  • Fish n' chips was one of the few foods never rationed during World War II, helping maintain morale on the homefront.
  • The practice of serving fish n' chips wrapped in newspaper survived until the 1980's when newspaper ink was deemed unsafe to touch food.
So fish n' chips has a rich and lengthy history in the English diet, a very worthy star attraction for my little party.  But what else should I serve for UK night?

One obvious answer:  traditional condiments.  Everyone knows about malt vinegar and my American friends would expect tartar sauce.  I also discovered that curry sauce was a popular accompaniment at English fish n' chips shops or "chippies" as well as "brown sauce,"  a somewhat sweeter version of A1 steak sauce.

Mushy peas are the classic fish n' chips accompaniment.  Traditionally, the dish consists of dried marrow fat peas soaked overnight and boiled to a mush-like puree.  Although the traditional version does not sound appealing to American tastes, I did find some modernized recipes calling for fresh garden peas pureed with fresh mint.   A simple green salad would also make an excellent accompaniment.

I needed at least one more dish to round out the meal.  My friend Christi suggested a "ploughman's platter," a selection of cheeses, meats, and bread, as an appetizer.  Then my friend Fleur jumped in with an offer to make traditional English cookies for dessert.

Planning completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment